Industrial Rescue Teams of Emergency Services were deployed during months of September, October and November in Endesa power stations for its mantainance works: Power Station As Pontes (Group 4), Power Station Litoral (Group 2) and Power Station Alcudia (Group 4).
During them, they carried out functions of rescue and intervention, and also they gave legal advice to companies in works at height, measurement and analysis of works in confined spaces and review of life lines, among others.
From the 17th to 21st of November, Emergency Services personnel of Nuclear Power Plant José Cabrera “Zorita” Fire Extinction Service, have updated their knowledge of Basic Life Support, use of Semi-Automatic Defibrillators, immobilizations in polytrauma, works at height and confined spaces.
They also carried out practical workshops in fire-fighting techniques using one of the SGS Fire & Safety School simulators.
During July and August, Emergency Services personnel reviewed and inspected fall protection systems installed in Inditex Group in summer of 2013 (it was an assembly of more than 10,000 m of extension).
They checked the compliance with the requirements set by the manufacturer, by performing tests in the facilities of the group in Arteixo (La Coruña).
During August, an Industrial Rescue Team of Emergency Services has carried out for Iberdrola, the annual inspection of existing life lines in the combined cycle thermoelectric plant in Valle de Escombreras, and in the hydroelectric plant in Levante area.
Within this inspection (which included several manufacturers and models of life lines) all the safety parameters have been thoroughly verified, which implied load tests to elements of installation and verification of Personal Protective Equipment.
SGS division in Gandia, has supported the work performed in the hydroelectric plant in Levante area.
Industrial Rescue Teams (IRT) of Emergency Services, receive training in intervention of collapsed structures and release of victims in traffic accidents.
On the third week of July, a training course about actions in catastrophic areas and search for victims in collapsed structures, within the disciplines covered by the URBAN SEARCH AND RESCUE (USAR), was held in Cartagena. During this course, SGS brought 3 IRT teams, 1 Coordinator, 3 heavy vehicles and a command vehicle, and the training covered 2 fields:
- Actions and stabilization in collapsed structures: behavior of collapsed buildings, identification of necessary materials and capabilities for access to the victim. Realization of the different types of underpinning according to any situation. Shoring of trenches and cargo movements.
- Actions and stabilization in accident vehicles: with the collaboration of company ECO-CAR CARTAGENA S.L, which provided its facilities and damaged vehicles for practices. Personnel was prepared in techniques for the release of vehicles and they learn about: vehicle stabilization, use of different tools, release plan and rescue of victims.
Industrial Rescue Teams members have given training in Confined Spaces for energy sector workers, from the 19th to the 30th of May.
These courses, held in client’s facilities, consisted of theoretical and practical parts, and took advantage of the Fire & Safety School’ simulator, that allows to provide courses in Fire Fighting and Confined Spaces.
GDF workers, have been able to experience different rescue and evacuation activities, using self-contained breathing apparatus, working in restricted atmosphere conditions, with limited space of visibility.
From the 12th to 16th of May, Emergency Services carried out two exhibition sessions for petrochemical sector companies in the port of Castellón (Tuesday the 13th) and Tarragona (Friday the 16th).
There were practical workshops, where participants could experience some of the functions of an Industrial Rescue Team:
- Rescue in confined spaces in a 20´ container: simulating restricted atmosphere conditions (use of self-contained breathing apparatus) or limited visibility and space; attendees should perform a rescue and evacuation of a victim using a tripod.
- Fire fighting: liquid phase, close shut-off valve, approximation and control of fire.
- Vital Basic, use of the semi-automatic defibrillator and first aid.
- Works at height: learning of IRT procedures; handling equipment, basic ascent – descent maneuvers, etc.
In addition, workers could attend in real time a rescue drill at height; they could see the performance of the IRT since the moment they receive the notice of accident, how they arrive with the rescue vehicle and carry out a rescue in confined space with a death slide evacuation system.
Emergency Services grades its personnel according to IRATA standard (International Rope Access Trade Association)
Last April, Emergency Services staff sit IRATA qualification exams in the Fire & Safety School facilities in Cartagena. The IRT had to pass rescue of victims tests with multiple variables (change of strings, loops, horizontal and diagonal zip lines, etc).
IRATA is a leading company in works at height, in the petrochemical and offshore sector. During its more than 25 years of existence, its training standard is considered of the highest prestige, thanks to its demanding requirements and outstanding working protocols. www.irata.org
Last Friday March 28th, an “Open door day” took place for the Entrepreneurs Association of Valle de Escombreras in SGS Safety School (Cartagena). It consisted in a presentation of the Industrial Rescue Team services, taking advantage of their facilities and audiovisual resources in the base, and also an explanation and demonstration of the different materials that the unit includes. The IRT showed their available resources:
- Fire & Safety School: with different training courses: life lines, confined spaces, first aid or fire-fighting techniques, as well as materials and facilities.
- Design, inspection and fall protection systems from major manufacturers.
- Specific first intervention vehicles: vehicle of aquatic intervention; firefighting and various services, and chemical decontamination.
- IRT equipment and material resources for rescue, immobilization or communication.
Last Tuesday March 25th, Emergency Services operating base in Cartagena received the visit of Intermediate cycles students of professional training in Health Emergencies form Lorca (Murcia). They attend a drill rescue performed by the Industrial Rescue Teams; also, they could see the deployment of material resources and participated in the following workshops:
- Rescue in confined spaces: using one of the mobile units that SGS Training School has in Cartagena for education and training, students could experience the complications of a rescue at height, in “polluted” spaces with limited visibility.
- First aid and basic CPR techniques: Rescue operators – Paramedics performed a complete immobilization of a victim, mobilizations “in group”, basic CPR and use of defibrillator.
- Using fall protection systems and life lines, comparing safety lines’ samples of different manufacturers assembled in base.
This collaboration with educational centers, is part of the strategy of promotion of SGS FIRE & SAFETY initiative, and of the activities performed by SGS Industrial Rescue Teams.